Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ch5:WeekendA2: Locked out. Nosferatu?

Vampires? Can you lock them in their coffins and put garlic around the house? Can you close the holes where their bites left you drained? Can you watch strength grow as blood slips away? Damnit Dr. Weinstock I learned too much about them in that class (thanks, btws). Vampires are by definition mythological or folkloric beings who subsist by feeding on the life essence of living creatures, regardless of whether they are undead or a living person/being. That being said I don't feel comfortable going through the many other ways a vampire can be interpreted and created and written about. One way I like to explore how I feel about something is to ask questions about it (see the first three sentences of this post). Can you just lock your doors to a vampire or do they always find a way in? Or did you on "accident" leave the window unlocked? Regardless it's MY blood and you can't have it. I'm sure this seems like a very different kind of approach to my posts than most of you have seen. I don't have any specific approach towards this blog except to write about what I'm feeling or think about or eat or do. Whatever. I did promise I'd talk about Forks over Knives so I'll include that hear too. F's over K's: A documentary sweeping the nation about eating a completely plant based diet and the alarming and incredible research behind it. Now, I'm not a vegan but this documentary (even as a dietetic student) started to sway me. It definitely helps me not want to think about restaurant food for a while...Regardless, I don't know that switching to a completely plant based diet is necessary for all human beings. I do think there is an overabundance of obesity happening and heart diseases and cancers that (as this documentary was saying) can be prevented through a plant based diet and healthy lifestyle. Okay doesn't that sound like common sense? Maybe not the plant part but healthy lifestyle? Come on that's life 101. That doesn't mean healthy lifestyles guarantee you are heart disease free or cancer free, certainly too many healthy men, women, children, families and loved ones have been affected by these diseases and have wondered what more they could have done. There's no one answer here but I was extremely fascinated by this documentary's research about cancer growth and plant based diets decreasing it. I can't go into statistics here but please take the time to rent it or visit their websites. I, as a future registered dietitian, promise to never force a plant based diet down your throat. No, I just don't think it works that way. However, incorporating more plant based foods into the diet in conjuncture with animal based products is a healthy transition. Perhaps going for the commonly phrased, "Meatless Mondays" or "Tofu Tuesdays." It's okay if you can't make a complete switch, I'm not telling you to but consider the amount of processed foods you eat on a day to day basis. I honestly can't remember the last time I ate a granola bar (aside from the home made ones Aby created) (not that granola bars are bad). I look in my pantry and see crackers for soup, fruit snacks, pastas, a couple of canned products and oatmeal (I haven't grocery shopped today) and my fridge is full of vegetables, homemade soups and fruits. It's not a whole lot of processed crap. I certainly don't eat out as much as I used to in my early college years and I certainly am making smarter choices when dining out as well. I just want to fuel my body in a healthy way and not give it garbage and not treat it like trash. People tend to think, eating healthy costs more and while it would take too long for me to explain how much I fight this, if you feel this way I will prove it to you individually that you can "eat healthy" on a tight budget. I will grocery shop with you if that's what it takes. Just, don't become something just because you want to, become something just to become. Fight for it. As for me, I promised. -J P.S. I really can't handle that photo I uploaded to this post. Fucking scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment