Monday, April 1, 2013

Ch8:Pg1: In your heart and in your mind

Ladies and gentlemen, we are in the final rotation of the CMU Dietetic Internship. Can you believe it? Yes, you probably can most likely because the same amount of time has passed for you all, no matter what you spent it doing. I'm not really trying to look back on the whole internship yet. That seems like too big of a task for the time being. There's a funny kind of light thing happening outside right now. It was getting dark and it almost looks like the calm before a storm. I would like a warm thunderstorm which I know we're not going to get. It's peaceful looking though, there's small snowflakes fighting to reach the ground while they dance through the air. The branches still creek like it's winter and their cores are still cold. Just like we all creek a little more and maybe we're not warmed up from the inside out yet. So, you're probably like shush, talk about your new rotation! Haha, well let me start by saying moving back to my apartment wasn't so bad. It felt like a small weight was lifted knowing I'm back and it's not for much longer. I started at Tendercare in Clare, Michigan this morning. Tendercare is a leading provider of long-term skilled nursing care and short-term rehabilitation solutions. I can't easily describe how it feels for me to be working there. Wendy, my preceptor, is a hoot and I enjoy working with her so that's good. I think the whole staff there seems pretty nice but and I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I don't have any grandparents. Sadly, I don't remember having grandparents. The ones who were still alive when I was born were not around long enough for me to build memories with them but sometimes I wish I had those memories. Othertimes, maybe I think I'm lucky to not have lost and felt that pain of someone being there one second and not the next. I'm sure there's truth in both feelings and that's alright. I had to get my fingerprints done after that and after too much driving I put together the ingredients that I had prepared the night prior for my Mushroom Nut Loaf! Seriously, it didn't taste like mushrooms for any of those mushroom haters out there. Trust me, because I'm not a big mushroom eater either (although I will eat cold portobello slices dipped in hummus...). So after popping that in the oven I pushed myself to run a speedier 4 miles, calmed down and stretched, nommed the hell out of a slice of loaf and now I'm warm and watching the light across my balcony. It's changing to a cold light with a pale yellow/pink overlay. It's pretty and it's a sign of hope to me. More big changes are coming as after the internship...well..that's just it. After the internship there is no more 40, 50, 60 hour work weeks. There's studying, hopefully more sleeping, lots of running and training still as I'll have the 5/3 River Bank Run 25K to keep training for, reading, working on my blog, taking and passing the RD exam, eventually summer will be here and grad classes begin....so much to think about that's coming quickly. Other things are mixed in with the approaching changes and I do wonder what will happen. I do wonder when and I do wonder how. I do also know that my focus right now is finishing the internship, completing the half marathon and graduating the internship. I'm fighting and I'm going to keep fighting, J.

No comments:

Post a Comment