Phew. Today was a long day guys! At the YMCA I'm going to be working with the community outreach groups and a lot with the "Cooking Matters" groups. This afternoon I taught with Shelby and we worked with a group of refugees from Burmese, Africa and Nepal. No one spoke more than a few basic words of English and it was really interesting to teach nutrition and cooking with interpreters. Cooking Matters is a great program that is Nationwide and covers many demographics, backgrounds and areas. It's about teaching the importance of nutrition, cooking, and understanding/being aware of what you're eating. It's a six week (once a week) course and today we taught people about whole grains, vegetables and fruits and another group about the basics of food groups. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the variety of teaching opportunities I'm getting here. It's amazing to help people with nutrition who genuinely want to learn and are listening to the words you say. No, not everyone cares or listens. But I"ll be damned if those who want to learn won't have access to this information. This is who I am as an intern and future RD. I am an advocate of health, wellness, nutrition and it is my job and mission to spend my time getting these messages across. It's who I am. It's who I'm learning to become and it's going to change and it's not always going to be fun or easy, but it is at least one part of me I have certainty of...and that's a good feeling. I know not everyone has certainty, I just hope you have certainty of at least one thing in your lives no matter how small or large. Having one period (dot, not length of time) of certainty (or hey maybe a length of time) is what makes all of the differences in life. As you all know, you have uncertainty and there will be times of uncertainty and times when you don't know what to do. I've wanted signs and guidance and it doesn't always come. In those times of uncertainty, it is your behavior and choices that will define your life. Switching gears, I did the "Chest and Back" workout from P90x and while I'm not sure how it's all going to go in the end, it was interesting to just work my chest and back. Yeah simple huh? But it's different than the strength training I have been doing! Well, I'm becoming more and more teary and emotional as I'm watching the Biggest Loser. It's all about reflection and sometimes I need to do that too. Not look back but reflect on all that's happened in my life in the last now almost 5 years (College years). I can't remember everything, but I think it's better that way. You have to keep fighting, said Jackson from the Biggest Loser. Alright, Jackson, I will. J
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Ch7:Pg2: It's still written (certains and uncertains)
Phew. Today was a long day guys! At the YMCA I'm going to be working with the community outreach groups and a lot with the "Cooking Matters" groups. This afternoon I taught with Shelby and we worked with a group of refugees from Burmese, Africa and Nepal. No one spoke more than a few basic words of English and it was really interesting to teach nutrition and cooking with interpreters. Cooking Matters is a great program that is Nationwide and covers many demographics, backgrounds and areas. It's about teaching the importance of nutrition, cooking, and understanding/being aware of what you're eating. It's a six week (once a week) course and today we taught people about whole grains, vegetables and fruits and another group about the basics of food groups. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the variety of teaching opportunities I'm getting here. It's amazing to help people with nutrition who genuinely want to learn and are listening to the words you say. No, not everyone cares or listens. But I"ll be damned if those who want to learn won't have access to this information. This is who I am as an intern and future RD. I am an advocate of health, wellness, nutrition and it is my job and mission to spend my time getting these messages across. It's who I am. It's who I'm learning to become and it's going to change and it's not always going to be fun or easy, but it is at least one part of me I have certainty of...and that's a good feeling. I know not everyone has certainty, I just hope you have certainty of at least one thing in your lives no matter how small or large. Having one period (dot, not length of time) of certainty (or hey maybe a length of time) is what makes all of the differences in life. As you all know, you have uncertainty and there will be times of uncertainty and times when you don't know what to do. I've wanted signs and guidance and it doesn't always come. In those times of uncertainty, it is your behavior and choices that will define your life. Switching gears, I did the "Chest and Back" workout from P90x and while I'm not sure how it's all going to go in the end, it was interesting to just work my chest and back. Yeah simple huh? But it's different than the strength training I have been doing! Well, I'm becoming more and more teary and emotional as I'm watching the Biggest Loser. It's all about reflection and sometimes I need to do that too. Not look back but reflect on all that's happened in my life in the last now almost 5 years (College years). I can't remember everything, but I think it's better that way. You have to keep fighting, said Jackson from the Biggest Loser. Alright, Jackson, I will. J
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment