Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ch3:Pg33: Poor Prognosis

Greetings, Wednesday, you were kind and taught me more than Tuesday. I got straight to work once arriving at the hospital and then Heidi and I went on patient rounds throughout the ICUs. I feel like every other day patients are given the "poor prognosis" statement in their chart and it makes me sad. I see life and its end quite a bit at the hospital and it's just something different to have on your mind. There was a patient we discussed who's organs were on the opposite sides of her body, her heart was on her right not left, etc. She is sick now but has lived to 81! That's someone I want to talk to and be like how did you do it!? If you don't know, that's usually something detected at birth and given a "Poor Prognosis." After seeing some patients in the morning, Heidi the RD and I got to watch a PEG tube get placed into a man's stomach. Not gonna lie I was grinning and giggling to myself because it was really cool to watch and though I did get a little dizzy-ish, it was neat. I kept reminding myself not to watch the cutting but it's so small that it wasn't a big deal to my equilibrium. They're the same kind of incisions that I had done when I got my laparoscopy and my appendectomy, they're small! My appetite wasn't strong afterwards but I did manage some lunch and worked a little more and headed to Saginaw to class. Today's lecture was about our professional portfolio and learning about the 75 credits per 5 years we have to complete as continuing education. The education can come from a multitude of things such as actual classes (my grad classes will count towards them), poster presentations, research, webinars, conferences, etc. It just means you have to do that or you lose your RD license, not hard to do in five years (gain the credits that is). Our director at one point just laughed and said "Just fill the darn thing out." Only the interns may giggle at this because it was funny then and writing it now doesn't sound as funny. You'd have to know our director, she's pretty great. I've been going to the gym a lot more and keeping my mind and body physically and mentally more active. It has really helped with combating feeling kind of lonely or bored. Plus I see more and am around more people at the gym and it makes me feel less alone. Aw, that statement sounded sad. I don't mean it to, I do feel lonely at times but I wouldn't trade this experience I've had living alone for much of anything. Anywho. In terms of other things on my mind and in my life, maybe there are some poor prognoses (no I'm not dying) but even when given a prognosis we don't like, we have to keep going. There are multiple things on my plate right now aside from the massive amounts of veggies I'm eating...and I'm afraid some may be leading me down different roads than I prepared for. I'm really not quite sure how I've gotten here, or the roads that have led me here. I just know all of the roads and all of the prognoses will keep me walking these paths even when I have no clue what I'm doing on them anymore. Spotted, jess walking, smiling, and dancing in the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment